Right-hand rockstar (aka Chief of Staff)
Are you an A-player looking for a unique but demanding opportunity to work directly with our senior team to help us continue our rapid global growth?
About the role:
In the last 7 years, we’ve scaled from 4 people in London to over 50 people across 7 locations, and as a result we’re looking for a Chief of Staff to help ensure this growth continues!
What’s a Chief of Staff you might ask? This First Round Review article captures it quite well (other than the Silicon Valley pay scale, just to keep your expectations firmly in check - we’re still bootstrapped! ;)
Essentially: we’re looking for someone to support the development and performance of our leadership team, improve our internal operations, keep us all happy, and ultimately drive the performance of the entire company! Easy?!
The role will suit someone with a blend of soft and hard skills: both genuine empathy and understanding of the people you’re working with (what makes them tick, when & how to support them), as well as meticulous attention to detail and vision when it comes to project management, operations and internal communications.
We’re looking for someone who is constantly pushing themselves and others, and is slightly geekily-obsessed with quality, output, attention to detail and follow-through, while still being a pleasure to work with on a daily basis. An A-player not an asshole!
This role would be perfect for someone with 4-6 years experience (ideally in a similar-sized company), who is hungry to have an outsized impact and to learn by doing. Fast.
If that sounds like you, and you’re keen to prove yourself at a nimble, fast-growing global company with big aspirations to shake up our industry and punch well above our weight, then this could be your perfect role!
About the role
Breaking it down in more detail, the role will involve:
- Supporting the leadership team: managing upwards and downwards to ensure alignment
- Being the ‘hub’ at the centre of our various team and projects: supporting the planning, implementation, monitoring and improvements to all our activities and projects, both ongoing and one-offs.
- Working across disciplines - from Marketing and Sales to Design and Development - and across geographies, you’ll need to be able to juggle many tasks at the same time!
- Owning all our internal communications: from weekly standups to quarterly OKR reviews to annual away weeks.
- Anticipating and addressing any issues that impact our team's performance: from big to 'small', you'll have your finger firmly on the TrendWatching pulse. Oh, and you'll also have the wits and composure to resolve them before they blow up!
- Owning, developing and managing our HR processes
A successful applicant will:
- Have experience managing multiple people, priorities and projects
- Be able to articulate and resolve when these compete with each other
- Possess a suite of operational tools and techniques, ready to draw upon and deploy
- Know when to ‘just do it’, and when to bring others in to solve the issue
- Experience with similar online businesses an advantage but not essential
In addition, you’ll also be:
- Highly ambitious and naturally one to think expansively about your role
- Not be afraid to get stuck into the unsexy-but-important jobs that need to be done
- Insatiably curious about the future of business, organizations and talent
- Constantly enthusiastic about going above & beyond in everything they do
- Relentlessly optimistic yet always flexible
- Totally global in mindset
The role is a full-time position based in our London office (we’re in the heart of Clerkenwell).
Only candidates eligible to work in the UK should apply, and unfortunately we’re not able to offer any relocation packages (remember, we’re not Unilever or McKinsey ;)
However, we will offer a competitive salary for the role and sector (from £40k) with some variance possible, depending on experience.
Successful applicants will also be eligible to join the company bonus scheme and have access to long-term incentives in due course.
Applying for the role
Please send the following to Henry Mason, TrendWatching’s Managing Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Covering letter
- Your CV
- A selection of thinkers, books, articles or videos that made an impact on you, and why.
Only applicants who are being invited to the next round will be contacted.